Post-Covid syndrome is an increasingly common condition in the world following the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. The condition refers to symptoms of COVID lasting longer than 3 months. Though similar in some ways to post-viral fatigue, there are some variations which make Post-Covid syndrome particularly worrisome in the modern medical environment.
Currently, the cause of Post-Covid syndrome is still being researched, but damage to, and reduced functioning of a range of organs and tissues throughout the respiratory system are apparent in most cases. To overcome the symptoms of Post-Covid syndrome and improve quality of life, practitioners are looking into holistic treatment pathways.
The comprehensive treatment of Post-Covid syndrome seems to rely on a focused strategy which involves the consumption of a clean and healthy diet together with the intake of high quality nutritional substances for immunomodulation and inflammation reduction.
Addressing the Symptoms of Post-Covid Syndrome
Symptoms of Post-Covid syndrome and Post-Covid fatigue can differ, but the most common side effects include fatigue and dyspnoea, often lasting for months after the initial infection. Other persistent symptoms may include
- Muscle and joint pain
- Cognitive and mental impairmenrt
- Gastrointestinal distress
- Taste and smell dysfunction
- Chest pain
- Cardiac issues
Medicinal mushrooms have the potential to overcome all of these symptoms, in the right combinations. As biological response modifiers (BRMs), medicinal mushrooms work with the body to promote homeostasis, and the healthy functioning of the processes throughout the body. The BRM performance of medicinal mushrooms can support tissue repair, while reducing inflammation, improving immune system functioning, and supporting neurological recovery.
The nutritional properties of mushrooms have been highlighted for their ability to protect and support the body in fighting against the COVID-19 virus. According to the current literature, the bioactive compounds in medicinal mushrooms, such as polysaccharide groups and B-glucans, support biological activity. Additionally, mushrooms are naturally anti-viral, anti-parasitic, and anti-inflammatory. When extracted and isolated correctly, the nutritional components within medicinal mushrooms support the performance of the human body.
Reishi mushroom, in particular, is well-known for its immunomodulation properties, which assist in balancing the performance of the natural immune system and reducing the risk of continued inflammation and inflammatory response following viral infection. Specifically, terpenes or terpenoids from Ganoderma Lucidum (Reishi mushroom), can stimulate the expressions of genes for coding proteins in the Nf-KB pathway, for immune functioning.
Medicinal Mushrooms for Post-Covid Syndrome
Aside from being immunomodulators and anti-inflammatory products, medicinal mushrooms also have tropisms (or areas of action) for organ support and healing. Additionally, medicinal mushrooms are known as natural sources of vitamins D, B C, essential minerals and also prebiotics capable of modifying our gut microbiota.
This potential of medicinal mushrooms to support the gut microbiota following COVID-19 infection could be particularly beneficial, as studies continue to examine the relationship between the gut and the SARS-CoV-2 virus. According to recent research, unbalanced bacterial flora responding to too many opportunistic infections can influence massive increases in inflammation. However, Reishi mushroom can regulate inflammation cascade caused by the cytokine following a COVID-19 infection, improving the chances of rapid recovery.
Reishi’s impact on immunomodulation and inflammation is only the start of the potential benefits available from medicinal mushrooms. Other medicinal mushrooms have additional benefits to offer either isolated, or in conjunction with Reishi. For instance:
- Cordyceps mushrooms are also effective at improving energy levels and overcoming consistent issues with respiratory discomfort and fatigue. This medicinal mushrooms has also found to be effective in wound healing, the prevention of infections, and the enhanced activity of immune system cells.
- Hericium erinaceus fungus and the polysaccharides within have also been found to have numerous digestive and neurological benefits. The mushroom can support the performance of the gastrointestinal system, improving the gut microbiota. At the same time, extracts of this mushroom can effectively fight against issues of brain fog and low concentration derived from the Post-Covid syndrome.
- Maitake mushrooms, or Grifola Frondosa, have been found to enhance antibody production following vaccinations for influenza in humans. This could indicate the efficacy of medicinal mushrooms in improving the overall immune system response to current and future vaccinations.
- Other medicinal mushrooms of interest are polyporus mushrooms that support the healing of lung tissues while reducing inflammation in the body. Coriolus versicolor (Turkey tail), as a potent antiviral, and Agaricus Blazei (Royal Sun Agaricus) as the immune balancing for excellence mushroom can significantly help active covid patients but could also alleviate Post-Covid discomfort with high doses of polysaccharides and wide-ranging nutritional benefits.
Treating Post-Covid Syndrome the Natural Way
Medicinal Mushrooms represent a safe and effective form of biological response modification treatment for Post-Covid syndrome. The correct combination of high quality medicinal mushroom extracts can tackle the various common symptoms of Post-Covid syndrome, while simultaneously supporting tissue healing and recovery.
As adaptogens, immunomodulators and anti-inflammatories, the medicinal mushrooms support the regulation of the immune system following viral infection, while reducing the number of symptoms responsible for poor quality of life after COVID infection.