For organisms to function effectively, the biochemical processes within the various tissues and components of the body must operate consistently in a stable environment. In the human body,the endocrine system is responsible for managing the process of homeostasis.
Endocrine System Homeostasis integrates various bodily functions and simultaneously ensures that the composition of the body fluids that surrounds the constituent cells in the body remains constant. Experts believe that the concentrations of various salts and substances in the human body closely resemble concentrations of these substances in primordial seas.
The primordial seas of past years nourished the simple organisms from which complex creatures like human beings have evolved. Maintaining Endocrine system homeostasis today is an essential process in ensuring the natural functioning of a healthy human body.
Endocrine System Homeostasis: Understanding the Balance
The endocrine system consists of various ductless glands secretory hormones within human blood, to drive homeostatic feedback loops. These loops keep the body in a state of constant equilibrium. Endocrine system homeostasis is intimately integrated with many of the body’s physiological processes, allowing them to perform effectively.
The major endocrine glands in the human body are the pituitary gland, pineal gland, testes, pancreas, thyroid, adrenals, parathyroid, and ovaries. Several organs elsewhere in the body also have secondary endocrine functions, such as the bones, heart, liver, and kidneys.
Integrative medicine addresses the various connections in the human body, and the status of endocrine system homeostasis on long-term ailments, diseases, and chronic conditions. Without the equilibrium of the endocrine system, hormonal systems could not support:
- Metabolism and food indigestion, or the release of insulin
- Human growth development and sexual development, including menopause
- The performance of the thyroid gland, managed by somatostatin
- The management of emotions, affected by dopamine and cortisol release
Natural Solutions for Endocrine System Homeostasis
Various substances have been suggested as holistic solutions for endocrine system homeostasis issues, particularly associated with the thyroid gland and menopause. For instance:
- Black cohosh: Proven effective by various studies into thyroid management and menopause symptoms, black cohosh can assist with painful menstruation, menopausal symptoms, heart palpitations, vertigo, and osteoporosis. Side effects unfortunately include constipation, blood clots, abnormal discharge, headaches, and other consequences.
- Vitex Agnus-Castus: Chasteberry is said to improve fertility and reduce the symptoms of PMS and menopause. However, it’s frequently associated with side effects like stomach discomfort and nausea.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is proven to have a positive effect on low mood and cognitive performance. Menopausal women can often benefit from Vitamin D to assist with endocrine system homeostasis. Studies also suggest that Vitamin D may improve the survival rates of people with breast cancer and reduce the risk of issues like arthritis.
- Vitamin B6: Useful for regulating both neural and hormone metabolism, vitamin B6 helps also helps to support fat and carbohydrate management in the body. Because the human body cannot produce Vitamin B6, it’s necessary to find this substance via forms of nutrition.
Mycomedicine for Homeostasis
Mycomedicine champions the use of mushrooms like Reishi for endocrine system homeostasis and hormone balance. Reishi mushroom is proven to assist with various conditions, including osteoarthritis, stress, and insomnia, which are all symptoms of issues with the endocrine system.
Reishi mushroom can also reduce the symptoms of menopause, while boosting the performance of the metabolism by controlling levels of plasma insulin, and elevating HDL cholesterol.
Dietary supplementation of this mushroom has demonstrated to reduce cortisol levels, which is key for controlling anxiety, stress and insomnia. Moreover, mycomedicine functional supplements are natural sources of Vitamin D and B6.
Reishi and mycomedicine are appearing as powerful and safe tools for endocrine system homeostasis, offering various benefits to the nervous system, hormonal balance and cardiovascular system.